by Kim O’Neill
Today I am finally starting the first chapter of a self-guided photo class from Betterphoto.com. In the past, I have taken a Photoshop class online with deadlines and that worked wonderfully for me, but self guided doesn’t work well with my procrastinating personality. Luckily I am doing this class with my friend Diane who is already on Chapter 4, and this motivated me to work together!
My ultimate goal with taking classes is to become a stronger photographer so that I may bring my photos to a professional level. My main interests with photography are travel, landscapes, portraits, and animals.
1. Our first lesson was to make a visual file or notebook – jotting down ideas on what to shoot, and how to shoot different subjects.
2.Make an extended project of our chosen subject varying the composition and lighting.
Great tips from Chapter 1
- To improve our photography, we are to look for good light, trying different angles, lens and times of day,
- Sharper results: sports mode or shutter priority with Shutter speed at least 1/250
- Frequent repetition, change ISO or manually adjusting my aperture
- Go closer. Edit out the busy around your object.
- Slow down, take more options